Buying or selling a business can be an opportunity to create a tremendous amount of value for shareholders. A properly executed M&A process can add significant value both in the transaction price and deal terms achieved. Expertise, adept negotiation skills, rational analytics and creative problem solving are all keys to achieving a successful outcome.
For most middle market business owners the sale of their business is the most significant financial decision of their business careers. However, making the decision to sell is only the beginning of the process. A strong advisory team can guide a business owner through the process and position the business for a successful outcome. The process includes the following:
- Conduct due diligence to thoroughly understand your business and industry allowing us to position your company in manner that will maximize value;
- Prepare an offering memorandum and other materials, including financial projections, to present to prospective buyers;
- Develop a comprehensive list of potential acquirers from both a strategic and financial perspective;
- Negotiate with potential buyers to attain the optimal balance between value and transaction terms that has the highest probability of closing;
- Interface with legal counsel and accounting support to insure optimal structure and documentation; and
- Close the transaction.
Guiding a business owner and leading the way through this process is what we do on a daily basis.
Some times the right decision is not to sell but to buy instead. To the extent you are looking to acquire another business, we can assist you in not only identifying a target but also conducting due diligence and financial analysis, and negotiating the most advantageous deal. Our industry contacts allow us to know what assets are available, what it will take to acquire them and, if necessary, how to finance the purchase.